For those who are not working from home, we may need a security camera for monitoring purposes. The device is very useful to help you keep an eye on the property for safety reasons and there are so many options to go for when you are going to look for one such as Reolink Vs Ring cameras. These famous names are ideal options for those who want ease of use and reliable performance yet they are not identical so, let’s see what they can offer below.
In this comparison, we are going to talk about:
- Where to Install the Security Camera
- What are Reolink and Ring
- How are the Unit of Reolink and Ring
- How are the Specs of Reolink and Ring
- How are the Image Quality of Reolink and Ring
- What else Reolink and Ring can offer
- Reolink Vs Ring
Spot to Install Security Cameras
Security cameras are very useful and they are easy to install. Unlike how things were, the modern security camera is not as complicated and doesn’t need a professional service to work but just some simple steps to pair and put them somewhere you like. We do think finding the ideal spot to put one is more difficult than making them work because most cameras today are working with Wi-Fi or your internet connectivity at home. Some may be more complicated to install but usually they are very simple.
If you are planning to install a security camera or security cameras at home, here are some important places or spots to consider. They are usually where people often gather or come and leave the property so it is wise to monitor the spot’s activity.
- For outdoor cameras, put one at the front door. Intruders don’t always use the side entrances or windows and many of them actually go straight from the front doors and if you often shop form online retailers this is the spot where package thieves often take their action. This is the first and most important spot to monitor people visiting and leave the property whether they are family members or other guests.
- For those with back and side doors, don’t forget these entrances as well since it is one of the favorite spots for intruders to get inside your property. Add a camera in your secondary doors if available, especially if they are more often being used than your front door. Options like basement doors that are visible and easy to access from the outside are also potential for intruders to get in.
- If your garage and front door are a bit further, consider putting a dedicated camera that can capture the garage or driveway properly because they tend to be the weakest and easiest to breach. In case the garage is separated from the main building we can use the camera to stay informed conveniently.
- If you also have a yard that seems to be easily accessible from the outside of the property, putting a camera here can be a great idea. This can help monitoring the people that may be trying to peek into your property and capturing the activities of kids, animals, as well as trespassers.
- For the indoor camera, we can put one in the common areas like the living room or kitchen. This can be used to monitor your babysitter, care provider, or what the kids and pets are getting into. It can also be used to monitor windows for potential break in.
|Product Dimensions||4.53 x 2.44 x 3.54 inches||3.8 x 2.6 x 4.75 inches|
|Average Install Time||5-10 minutes||5-10 minutes|
|Shop now at Amazon||Check price||Check price|
About Reolink and Ring
Now when you already decide to buy a security camera, it is time to see what the market has to offer because we have so many of them out there so it can be a bit confusing. We do think it is best to choose the camera that will work well in the type of application or what you want to have from the device, it can be the image quality or extensive monitoring features. Some cameras are also coming with subscription plans and they will cost you some along the way.
The most important in our opinion is image quality because you need to see the footage clearly to make it useful. Many popular security camera brands like Reolink and Ring are very promising options to consider. These companies are focusing on cameras as security systems so you can find plenty of options from the collection, especially for Reolink. Each model can be different based on the price, image quality, and features to offer. Ring is probably often chosen for its extensive plan-based features.
Reolink on the other hand is famous for being a budget choice that comes with every basic feature as well as options on the storage functions. The specific models that we are talking about today are the Argus 3 from Reolink and the Spotlight camera from Ring. Both of these Reolink and Ring cameras come with very similar sets of features and are both ideal for outdoor monitoring. The main difference in our opinion is the features that come with Ring Protect Plan if you choose to use it.
The cameras are very capable at providing good and useful footage even though they don’t look identical side by side. The installation should be very easy because most battery-powered cameras will work right away once you pair them with the account in a smartphone. If you just want a working camera that is easy to use, we will recommend the Reolink Argus 3 but if you need the extensive features Ring with its Protect Plan will be a very promising choice.
Reolink and Ring Design
Before checking what these cameras can offer, let’s see the unit first. The cameras are not identical based on the shape but they have the same mechanism and are made of the same durable plastic. You may notice that there are two spotlights on the Argus 3 camera while for this Ring Spotlight the lights are on each side of the camera. These lights are very bright and will help illuminate or help deter people with cruel intentions. Read also: Reolink Vs Amcrest here.
First you need to attach the base to a wall, preferably high enough for it to not be easily taken-off by adults and then we can mount the camera next. These two are coming with every accessory needed to install the unit including the mount and cable. The most noticeable difference is that the Reolink battery is not removable from the unit unlike the Ring camera so to charge it we will have to plug it on the device. With Ring we can have two battery packs for example and use them one after the other is depleted.
Reolink and Ring Specs
Now for the most important part, let’s see what the Reolink and Ring cameras can offer starting from the basic specs. Both of these variants are standard HD cameras or 1080p in resolution and they will produce good footage. Not to the level of your action camera but will be enough for monitoring purposes. The coverage of each camera is about the same as well with Argus 3 at 120 degree and the Ring Spotlight wider at 140 degree horizontally.
Reolink and Ring Image Quality
While specs wise the cameras are very similar to each other, they are not identical when you view the footage. Besides the view that is a bit wider on the Ring camera, the color and details are quite different. In comparison, Reolink is over-sharpen so the image looks more saturated or bold in color but also harsh on the details. On the opposite, Ring is actually better here in terms of quality as the object movement is smoother and details are also very smooth.
It arguably looks more natural but compared to the Reolink’s footage the image can look a bit more washed out. Audio quality is actually very good for both cameras and Reolink seems to produce louder sound as well but overall they are decent to a distance and still capture some wind noise that may reduce the clarity of your audio sometimes.
Reolink and Ring Features
Next we want to talk about the features that you can find on Reolink and Ring cameras. Just like most security cameras they are able to live stream the footage from your smartphone app. They are also featured with spotlight and two-way audio. On the basic both cameras have a motion sensor and will notify you when it picks up a movement in front of the camera. The main difference is that if you want to record the footage from Ring, we need the subscription or Protection Plan.
With other cameras like Argus 3 from Reolink the camera is automatically saving the footage when the motion sensor picks up something and this footage can be stored locally in the memory card up to 128GB or you can also pay for the cloud storage. The Basic Plan for Ring cost $3 per month for one camera and if you want to add more cameras, the cost is $10 per month but you can use as many cameras into the system.
Reolink Vs Ring
Security cameras are very useful and easy to install. In comparison, we do think the most noticeable from these Reolink and Ring cameras are their footage quality and the features. Arguably Ring has the better image quality, smoother details, and also more natural color with smoother motion as well. But, it can only store footage once you have the paid subscription while for Reolink this is a free feature and you get to choose to save it locally too.
There are so many good cameras but if you want to optimize the budget, wen highly recommend the Reolink camera such as this Argus 3 because it is offering all the necessary features including free local storage while being very affordable for the long term as we don’t need to spend more but the memory card itself.